Re: Paper on an aspect of the tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tabor on March 06, 2003 at 22:46:50:

In Reply to: Paper on an aspect of the tuba posted by Jim on March 06, 2003 at 21:41:41:

If you are writing an opinion paper, I think that you will have at least 8-10 pages. I once wrote a short paper like this on the evolution of brass in the orchestra and in bands. There is good information out there. I really like the H. Phillips and W. Winkle book. (the Art of Tuba and Euphonium) I probably like it because Dr. Winkle is one of my teachers, but it really is a great book and it lists references. You might find something there.

As far as "the best" orchestral tuba, I think that it is still a matter of opinion (and it depends on the size of orchestra) I really like the sound of a Mirafone or Alexander-style horn in a small ensemble, but I wouldn't take one to play Pictures at an Exhabition. Just think of all the French literature which is played by a tuba in the key of C (above the euphonium) in France and usually played on an F tuba here. While I don't think anyone would call a tiny C (not CC) tuba "the greatest orchestral tuba" it certainly does have its niche in French literature.

You should check out Rick's webpage. He has done some good research on tonal characteristics and terminology...and explained why the sound other people hear as "dark" has always sounded "broad" to me, while the sound of my Mirafone, to me, is "dark". I don't think that anyone has written a book on the aesthetic qualities of the different tonal characteristics of various tubas yet...but Rick D. could sell me one.

Follow Ups: