Re: Looking for an excellent sounding Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doc on March 09, 2003 at 09:48:43:

In Reply to: Looking for an excellent sounding Tuba posted by Ben Morris on March 08, 2003 at 22:35:03:

Daryl is correct. You need to play as many as you can to find the right one. I'm not sure why the right-to-left tuning slide means anything. If you need to use it while playing, you need a better horn. You could be limiting yourself with the tuning slide, but I understand the preferences thing. I would suggest playing all different types of horns to get a feel for what's out there. However, if you've just got to have that slide set-up and less than $4500, the newer Mirafone 186 (BBb or CC), 187 BBb, or 188 CC would be good choices. There are a couple of other Mirafone models above $4500. Newer Mirafones don't have that shake, rattle, and roll anymore that we all used to deal with, and are usually very consistent in the way they play. Good value for the money, IMHO. Also, the Meinl Weston 25, VMI 2103?, and Musica CC. Check out the SHOPS section of this site. You'll find a lot of horns (pictures too) new and used. May help you narrow your search. Dillon's, Bass Clef Brass, Brasswind, and Low Brass Werks have horns that meet your criteria. If I had to recommend a tuba based on your specs (sings, rich tone, good upper & lower register, size, cradle-able, reach slides, tuning slide direction, nimble, present, affordable, BBb or CC) it would have to be the Mirafone 186. Good luck.
Doc

Follow Ups: