Re: matching CC and F equipment

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 09, 2003 at 16:38:34:

In Reply to: matching CC and F equipment posted by mark on March 09, 2003 at 16:01:15:

People have preferences, and sometimes end up choosing equipment that produces a similar sound. Other times, folks are looking for something specifically different. Lots of the big-name orchestral guys in the U.S. seem to most frequently couple a B&S-style F tuba to their big York-style contrabass. The sound concepts are pretty different, it seems to me, and so are the playing concepts.

In my case, I've chosen my tubas based on what was optimal for the ensemble. My F tuba was optimized for brass quintet because it gives me the greatest security over the wide range of literature for quintet, and also because it can sound like a tuba for some works and still blend with the trombone for works intended for two trombones. But my large BBb tuba is optimized for the large-ensemble playing that I do with that horn. The only real similarity between the two is that they are easy to play using a similar approach. I take solace in my choice: Michael Moore in Atlanta has a similar pairing, from what I understand.

Most times I've seen in discussed, top pros say they make these choices to optimize efficiency in performing a specifica literature. Jay Bertolet has chosen four instruments--each optimized for a category of music.

Rick "thinking that if both horns were too well-matched, we wouldn't need two" Denney

Follow Ups: