Re: Re: Re: Different Question About CC vs. BBb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank on March 09, 2003 at 21:15:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Different Question About CC vs. BBb posted by Jeff Hildebrand on March 09, 2003 at 18:56:52:

Jeff,

I don't know what kind of tuba you played when you were actively playing. But, (only) since you mentioned the 25J, I'll throw in a comment or two.

I played a 20J, the three valve model, in both bell front and upright, while in college. When I just got back into playing last summer, after over 35 years, I really didn't want another 20J, only because it is a lot of tuba to manhandle around. (I have found a solution to that problem as long as their aren't too many steps to climb)

The problem is tnat if you are really used to playing a big horn, most everything else is kinda, well, small, not to mention that smaller horns tend to require more work input for the same amount of output. And the bigger Conns, Martins, etc., do have a big tone that sounds much different than the European style horns. So, yup, I have a 20J, and now have both bells for it.

My point, before you buy, go look and try. Even better, when you start playing with a band, try different horns. I have tried different horns, but (in my case) once in love with a big horn, nothing else seems to satisfy.

You can get redone Conns and other big horns from a number of rebuilders, and will also see used ones on E---. Right now Baltimore Brass has a nice looking used silver 26J (upright standard valves, bell front) in silver. Taylor Music can supply a 20J, 25J or 34J (basically the same as the 26J)that is rebuilt to like new. Dillons has a used 20J in silver. You will want to take a look at their websites as well as Barodi, and Badger, who also rebuild horns. All these folks handle all types of used and rebuilt horns. Some of the folks on this website will know others as well. I see that someone has mentioned Lee Stofer, who would certainly be helpful, and he is very knowledgable.

Also, don't miss trying out a Jupiter 582.

You will find that onthe website most folks have their favorites, and also horns they don't like. The Jupiter 582 is a great medium sized horn. IMHO

And I will probably get some flack about the big Conns. Those of us who like them, tend to love them. Those that don't, tend to despise them. Makes for interesting discussions from time to time and keeps me checking in to see the latest happenings here on tubanet.

Anyway, good luck looking.

Follow Ups: