Re: Re: Kalison Tubas?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by T. J. on March 09, 2003 at 21:19:29:

In Reply to: Re: Kalison Tubas? posted by Dan C. on March 09, 2003 at 20:29:03:

I really liked my Pro 2000. . . I sold it to buy my Holton 6/4 about four years ago. . . The Holton is a better orchestral horn, but the Kalison would have been a better only horn. . . the Pro 2000 is just about the right size for everything if you know how to handle it. Mine had a Dan Oberloh leadpipe on it and had some scarring, so I think it may have been rebuilt by that shop. I have no experience with any other Kalisons, but that one played great and, sometimes, I miss having it around (it sure was a lot lighter than my Holton). The intonation was actually pretty good and the low range was great the only really bad note was the Ab at the top of the staff. It's kind of a funky looking horn with the valve slides going out at angles and the throat into the bell being huge, but the bell not flaring much. It had some good ideas like springs that were bigger on the bottom so that they were always centered, the first valve slide stopper, a detatchable valve section for ease of repair, and the nice rubber bumpers set into the valve caps (you don't see that much on piston valves rather than felts) I've got nothing but positive feelings for the one I played, your mileage may vary.

--T. J. Ricer

Follow Ups: