Re: Re: matching CC and F equipment

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on March 10, 2003 at 12:16:00:

In Reply to: Re: matching CC and F equipment posted by Doug Whitten on March 10, 2003 at 00:09:04:

I just became sold on having two tubas. I've use my 182 in Brass Band for the last year, on the Eb part. It is easy to play up there, and the sound cuts through better than if I were playing it on a larger tuba. The conductor is very happy with the sound.

But starting Tuesday, I'm going to be playing tuba for the next orchestra performance (instead of my usual 2nd horn.) So I took my Miraphone 184 CC to brass band last Friday. I was amazed at how easy it was to play, compared to what I thought would happen, since it is larger and heavier than the 182. It has an amazingly open low register; all five valves down for the Db above pedal C, does not feel all that different from the pedal C itself. So I think I'll take it to orch rehearsal tomorrow night with confidence. The brass band conductor, however, requested that I bring the 182 again to brass band.

Oh, and on the intonation thread....the CC was no harder to blend with the 3 BBb's in the band, than the F is. The main problems are bass clef guys trying to decipher the accidentals in treble clef. Once everyone gets that working (and the ones we currently have DO practice) then we can work on more subtle intonation issues, if we can get over cringing at the cat-wailing of the cornets.

So there are uses for two tubas.

MA

Follow Ups: