Re: Re: Re: Different Question About CC vs. BBb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Keith C. on March 10, 2003 at 12:42:13:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Different Question About CC vs. BBb posted by Mary Ann on March 10, 2003 at 11:21:46:

I am located in Toronto, and I am planning to work with Sal Fratia who is on the faculty of Music at the University of Toronto.

When I was talking with Sal last week, he wanted to know my music background (high school tuba), training (none, not even piano), and the type of playing I am doing ( community groups). He understands that I will never aspire to anything more than an adequate community tuba player, which is fine with him and me. He plans to look at the basics of my playing and offer suggestions as to what needs corrections. He was quite realistic when he said that I have probably developed some bad habits over the last few years. These are what we will focus on initially. I am having problems with intonation (i've got a lousy ear for tone), which we will address, and breathing. He also wants to evaluate my mouthpice and horn relationship (am I using the most appropriae mpc?).

I don't see this as an ongoing series of lessons. Probably every two weeks for a couple of months, and then as required, time permitting.

My expectations is to have a coach more than a teacher, if that makes sense to you. I need someone to provide occassional help and direction with tone and technique. I do not want a teacher who is expecting me to audition for the BSO.

Sal has a full roster of talented university/college level students. These are the kids he can push to become the next Roger Bobo. Me, I just want to play that damn B natural in tune, most of the time.

Hope this helps.

Follow Ups: