Re: Looking for an excellent sounding Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AW on March 10, 2003 at 17:54:11:

In Reply to: Looking for an excellent sounding Tuba posted by Ben Morris on March 08, 2003 at 22:35:03:

I note that you didn't get a lot of responses. It's perhaps because it's difficult for any of us to know if our concepts of an excellent sound is the same as yours. I suppose the best thing is for various people to give you some mentions of their choices, and perhaps give you some ideas.

Doc gave you a good list of horns to try. I can add that I've received a lot of compliments on my sound with my Meinl-Weston 32 (a five rotary valve, big 4/4 size CC tuba). Other tubists who try it like it a lot. I'm told that the M-W 25 (with four rotary valves) is the BBb equivalent, and their catalog also lists the model 25E with five rotary valves. If you can, give the M-W 32 and/or 25 a try. By the way, the workmanship is outstanding.

I like the compromise that a medium size CC represents, although I am aware that others prefer a compromise tilted more toward one or another direction. It's big enough for a solid low range, yet small enough to be nimble, and the high range can sing. However, you might find a medium size BBb that meets the same requirements. I have gotten to like having five valves; there's a lot less choosing between slide movement and playing away from the resonances of the horn. With the particular five valve horn I have, I only feel the need to tweak the first valve slide. Yes, sometimes I'd like to have a non-compromise horn for a particular piece. However, I think I'll wait until I gain more mastery over the horn I have -- splitting my practice time over more than one tuba, with therefore more than one set of quirks, isn't going to make me play better!

Best of luck, and let us know what you wind up with -- and why.

Allen Walker

Follow Ups: