Re: Music as competitive sport!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shane on March 11, 2003 at 12:56:01:

In Reply to: Music as competitive sport! posted by Keith C. on March 11, 2003 at 10:46:26:

I can't think of any skill or talent in this world that does not have a competitive aspect of SOME sort. There are Art Competitions, Sculpture Competitions, Spelling Competitions, Pet Breeding/Showing Competitions, Eating Competitions, Literary Competitions, and yes, Music Competitions.
The differing opinions on the validity of competition in music are intriguing, while at the same time eye-gouging. Are there avenues for those who wish to play music strictly for fun? Yes. Are there avenues for those who wish to play music for other reasons? Money? Fame? COMPETITION? Yes. Should we decide which avenues are available to explore, and thus restrict all musical efforts to those which are done strictly for "fun"? No, we should not.
I enjoy playing my tuba. I play in a brass band that is competitive. We also perform concerts just for fun. I have no trouble performing when either is the case. I really do enjoy competing. It doesn't matter to me whether I win, it is the thrill of the chase that excites me. In fact, i have lost FAR more in competitive music events than I have won.
As long as there are skills and talents in this world, there will be a demand to pit others against each other in a "Battle Royale" to determine who is the best. It is YOUR choice to decide whether to take part, or to participate just for the fun of it.
As for your question on whether or not to join the community band. You should ask yourself whether you would be happy following the schedule the group has. If not, maybe you should look elsewhere. I think the advice of changing the group once you are in it is a little presumptuous and self-serving. Just a thought...
Shane

Follow Ups: