Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thinking outside the box

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on March 11, 2003 at 18:34:14:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thinking outside the box posted by RD on March 11, 2003 at 16:45:09:

To Rick: this discussion reminds me of a great old burger joint in Austin. Did you ever eat at the GM Steakhouse, on Guadalupe St.? It's gone now, but I remember the menu like it was yesterday:

Cheeseburger: $2.25
Cheeseburger without cheese: $2.50.

To everyone else: your state of mind is a powerful force when you approach a brass instrument. You see bright silver, your mind THINKS bright sound -- you are more likely to MAKE bright sounds. You see dark, complex oxidized brass, your mind THINKS dark, complex sound -- you are more likely to MAKE dark, complex sounds. But if you can get your mind past any expectations that the finish is going to matter, I strongly believe it doesn't matter. If it does, how could you prove it? There are just too many other factors that matter so much more, the 'noise' of the finish gets lost in the 'signal' of wrap, bell flare, leadpipe, mouthpiece....

Joe Baker, who will take his horns bare because they make him think dark, complex sounds.

Follow Ups: