Re: 25J playing characteristics

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on March 11, 2003 at 20:25:48:

In Reply to: 25J playing characteristics posted by SHS Tubamaster on March 11, 2003 at 19:52:37:

If you are looking for a tuba to use as an all-around horn, the Miraphone would probably be the better choice. If you are looking for a horn that is fun to play and can provide a broad sound to support a large ensemble, the Conn would fit the bill. (Also, if the Conn is a top action, 4 valve, long stroke, BBb tuba it's a 34J, not a 25J, although I don't think that they made them with upright bells, so maybe it has a 21/25J bell on it.)I really enjoyed playing my 22J and the band director liked the sound I could get from it, for outdoor concerts. We both agreed that it was a little overpowering indoors. Even though it could be played softly, it had such presence that it was a bit too much.

Of course if the Conn is significantly less expensive than any of the Miraphones that you are looking at, and you don't need it for quintet work, it may provide more "bang-for-the-buck." In my opinion though, the Miraphone is a more versatile horn, and therefore provides more value, even if slightly more expensive. Personally, I wouldn't buy either and would (and did) go with a King 2341.

Follow Ups: