Re: Re: Shall tubas have their own scale systems

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Annn on March 12, 2003 at 09:34:35:

In Reply to: Re: Shall tubas have their own scale systems posted by Jay Bertolet on March 11, 2003 at 22:28:35:

without reading the other replies, first:
Absolutely right on. All of it. Ensemble skills, and not "intonation skills," is the real topic here. The exact same phenomenon occurs with rhythm...the bozo who has his own internal beat, and when he perceives that others are not with him, instead of fixing himself, he starts to stomp his foot. Not many friends, or playing comrades, there either.

As a usually) 2nd horn, I assign myself the job of blending with the 1st horn, right or wrong, in tune or not. Fortunately for all the flaws my current 1st horn has, intonation is not one of them, making him exceptionally easy to blend with. His rhythm is a bit different, since he tends to mis-read rhythms and drags as a general rule. But I prod him on the rhythem while blending with tone and intonation.

The 3rd horn is one of those "tuner guys," and if there are beats in the horn section, we always know where they are coming from. He stomps his foot, too. It's a brain malfunction, methinks.

MA

Follow Ups: