Re: Re: 25J playing characteristics

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank on March 12, 2003 at 13:44:10:

In Reply to: Re: 25J playing characteristics posted by Jim Andrada on March 12, 2003 at 01:49:38:

Well, everyone on here knows I like the big Conns, but Jim pretty well nailed it. I can only say that given any choice of any tuba(that I have had a chance to try with a band) the big Conns just satisfy. Its kinda like when you're a bit hungry. Dry melba toast will eventually fill you up, but what a difference a good piece of apple pie and ice cream will make.

There is something satisying about the body of sound the big horns produce, although it is certainly possible to limit volume levels for smaller groups. But, you can only know if will you like one until you play one, and play it with a band in a room at least big enough to hold the band without crowding. If you feel it in your belly, you will know what I mean. If not, well, they are probably not for you.

I can tell you this; It will make an impression on the other folks in the band, if they have not had a big American style horn in their midst before. You just kind of wrap them up and hug them all with this big round sound, and they will notice. The comment was made that the big horn makes a "happy" sound. And, if your situation is like many of us, never enough tuba players, you will be able to provide the bottom for a good sized band when necessary. I am the only tuba in a community band of around 40 pieces, depending how many show up this week.. My band director prefers it to my Mirafone FWIW

Follow Ups: