Confessions of a tuba junky

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by stef on March 15, 2003 at 00:19:58:

Vivid in my mind I remember spying my first tuba at age 7. I'd never even heard the word tuba before and was so taken back by this marvel of carefully crafted brass sitting ackwardly in the arms of a high school musician.

To have imagined the impacted this day would have on my life would be unthinkable given the countless 1000's hours I've devoted to playing, reading, dreaming, thinking and net surfing about tubas. Whoever would have though that the tuba could be so addictive. Perhaps in the words of my wife even "a substance of abuse" to which I've devoted so much of my life.

I mean, I'm not even a pro tubist. I gave up that dream at the end of high school, yet still occasionally dream of what life would be like if I was actually as good at playing the tuba as I am at reading and analysing which is the best and most desireable tuba. Ironic considering I've never actually owned a tuba.

And for someone who so greatly dreams of tubas and regularly surfs sites such as this I have a very strange confession. I haven't even blown a single note on a tuba for over tens years.

I therefore feel I have unearnt (perhaps lost?) the ability to call myself a musician and have gained the greater title (in my eyes) of "tuba connoisseur". Lover of all things tuba, besides actually playing the instrument!

And before you all think whats this guy on, I'll let you know. I'm on a high from just cruising a few tuba web sites, ie (and this is not a plug) that oberloh site. How could anyone disagree that the instrument we (you) play truly is a marvel.

Cheers
Stefan (I'd better go now and do something productive before the wife comes home)Tulloch

Follow Ups: