Re: Re: Re: Altieri gig bags

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 18, 2003 at 14:03:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Altieri gig bags posted by GC on March 18, 2003 at 13:06:22:

This method only works for horns that are stable on their bells. My Holton is not, especially with a bell cover. I tried this method even with my York Master, which is stable on its bell, and found that eventually I had to up-end the horn to finish the process. There was no secure way to hold onto the instrument during that up-ending process. The handles on the bag weren't secure, because the bell still wasn't all the way inside the bag, and grabbing the handle would just pull the bag off the tuba. Grabbing the tuba in both hands depends on the friction of the horn in the case to keep it from slipping. For a Miraphone; no problem--it only weights 18 pounds. For my 28-pound York Master, and for a BAT like the Holton, it's scary.

I'd much rather lay the horn down into half the case, and close the other half over it. The horn is never picked up until it is all the way in the case, and the case is zipped up.

Remember, I started with Altieri bags for all my horns and made the switch after trying all the recommended methods. If you can make it work for your horns, then blessings upon your house. I could not.

Rick "speaking from experience" Denney

Follow Ups: