Re: Vaughan Williams' Six-Studies Help!!!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Oberheu on March 20, 2003 at 01:46:26:

In Reply to: Vaughan Williams' Six-Studies Help!!!!! posted by FSUTubaPlayer on March 19, 2003 at 18:43:52:

Here's what I remember of the titles and stories of each movement......

1 - "Lovely on the Water." A song about 2 lovers that are parting, the man is on his way to sea and sings to his girl. There's a line in the text about "the sweet song will sound lovely on the water." It's been a while.....I may be a bit off on that one.

2 - "Spurn Point." Song is about a shipwreck off of Spurn Point. The ship's crew refused help from anyone and the people on the ship ended up drowning. I remember reading the words, but don't remember them specifically.

3 - "Van Dieman's Land." The song basically warns against all poachers who, if they are caught poaching, will be sent to Van Dieman's land. Van Dieman's land is a place in Australia where criminals of different sorts were sent into exile.

4 - "She Borrowed Some of Her Mother's Gold." I only remember the title.

5 - "The Lady and the Dragoon" or, "The Brave Grenadier." Story about a woman that falls in love with a soldier. I only remember a line about "will be so lovely to hear the nightingale sing." Something like that.

6 - "As I Walked Over London Bridge." Just a walk through the park, basically. I didn't find the words to this song.

That's all I can recall at the moment. That should give you a start. The library at FSU probably has some books that are collections of English folksongs. I remember one of the books I found was something like "English Folksongs collected by Ralph Vaughan-WIlliams." You can find something, I'm sure.

Good luck!

Follow Ups: