Re: Re: Alexander 166?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kevin Robertson on March 21, 2003 at 03:31:21:

In Reply to: Re: Alexander 166? posted by Anthony on March 20, 2003 at 09:00:56:

Yeah,

I received an answer from my email to Tony earlier. He said it was a double "compensating" horn, instead of a true double.

Both he, and dp have mentioned what a great solo horn it is, and how it has the stereotypical "Alexander" sound.

I am looking for a quintet horn. Something that will spend most of the time in the clef, or just barely below, but will need to go down to BBb or even FF often enough that a true small F is probably not practical. I had, originally, planned on buying an F or Eb now, and later on down the road (as in when I won't have a BBb provided by the Army, in 2009), buying a CC or BBb. Given the BQ book I have now, the F/Eb would be practical about 90% of the time, and the rest of the time I would need a contra horn. This horn would be used 95% or more of the time for quintet, only.

For you guys that have played the horn, my question is: is this horn the one-horn solution to my situation, or do I need to continue to think in terms of two horns?

The bass horns that I am, seriously, considering are: the Willson 3200, and the 3400; the Besson 983; some variation of the MW 45; Yamaha's 621,822 and 632.

Would I do better to buy one of these, and fill in with whatever contra the Army gives me, until I retire?

Kevin

Follow Ups: