Re: playing only in ...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Zac on March 21, 2003 at 11:59:38:

In Reply to: playing only in ... posted by Kenneth Sloan on March 21, 2003 at 00:37:08:

I work for a local symphony as their technical director and every set I would fantasize that the tuba player would get sick or not show up...sorry Doug. Anyways being a tuba player himself he cherishes every rehearsal and performance and has an excellent attendance record. Finally one set he hurt his back and actually called me to tell me that he was cancelling tuba quartet rehearsal that evening and that he wouldn't be able to make the symphony rehearsal. Smelling fresh blood I readily offered my services to "fill in" for him. He called the maestro and he agreed. We played Strauss' Don Jaun. Fun piece and with Strauss you play more than others. But I have to say after playing in The Marine Band program for 4 years and doing nothing but chamber music for the last 2 years I found it kind of boring. All I dreamed about was getting into an orchestra, any orchestra but once I was there it really left me wanting something else. Counting measures isn't my idea of playing music.

The music in concert band or our community summer bands aren't near the quality but at least we play more than we rest. Just my 2 little shiny pennies worth.

Zac

Follow Ups: