Re: playing only in ...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Phil Lewis on March 21, 2003 at 22:31:01:

In Reply to: playing only in ... posted by Kenneth Sloan on March 21, 2003 at 00:37:08:

I'm not a very good judge of the benefits of orchestral tuba playing. I only got to play one gig with the Symphony In Blue and during that concert I counted 99 measures of rests, played one whole note, then sat for the remainder of the selection and went home, having nothing else to play during the concert. In college and high school, I did not play the tuba in the orchestra, but instead filled in on string bass. I have pretty much only played my tuba in bands of one kind or another such as concert, marching, jazz, dixie or in brass ensembles. I love listening to orchestral music and I love listening to good band music. Of the two, however, I think I probably would have more appreciation for performing in a band just because I would get to play more. If I had to choose between going to an orchestra concert or a band concert of equal quality, I would probably choose the band concert just because I love bands. It's not because I have anything against orchestras, I just like band music better. Call it personal preference. Maybe that's why I became a band director. 8-)

Follow Ups: