Re: Re: Re: Sterling Euphoniums

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alan on March 22, 2003 at 12:37:56:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Sterling Euphoniums posted by Doug on March 21, 2003 at 23:02:20:

These are my opinions based on my experience trying these horns. The use of the word "I" means "I" and not "everyone." This is a singular perspective and is only applicable to ME, so if anyone out there wants to dispute me and say that I'm wrong, well, they can't because these are my opinions. Other folks have other opinions and other folks have varying degrees of affections for these horns. As I said, somebody out there loves this horn. It plays to their strengths and does not accent their weaknesses.

I don't like the intonation on these horns.

I really dislike the sound when I push the volume up on the horn. I really really dislike it. really.

Flexibility on the Sterling, from the beginning, was advertised as simply amazing. I disagree, unless by amazing they mean utterly amazing - as in the negative.

I don't like the sound that I produce on them. I think they don't have a focused, round, deep core to their sound... even when I hear other people, professional people, play them

The valves seem fine, but then again, I don't care about valves that much because if the horn sounds good, valves can be worked on.

When I go to extremes of the range, the sound gets thin. This horn isn't nearly as easy as some I've tried in the low range.

When tried back to back with other horns at conferences, this horn stands out (to me) as the worst in the bunch.

Now, I really like the Besson 967. That is what I have and I love the sound of the horn. This horn works for me. I like the Meinl 451... except I cannot get the upper Eb in tune. I might own one of these if not for that one note. I owned a Willson 2900 that was a really good horn with great valves, but I like the core of the sound of the Besson better, so I sold it. I dislike Hirbrunners - and I haven't played one I like. Some people love these, but that, again, is why I say to let the horn pick you and not the other way around. I think Yamaha is on the right track with the 800 series, but I find myself thinking that it is "still" a Yamaha. In my opinion, they are just one or two improvements away from making a horn that will seriously rival the Willson-Hirsbrunner-Besson triangle. I'm keeping my eye on Yamaha developments - it will only be good for everyone if they join they fray and produce a top-notch horn.

I think Sterling has a long way to go to have a horn that will be in the top tier of professional grade euphoniums. I hope they get there. How nice would it be to have Willson, Hirsbrunner, Besson, Yamaha, Meinl, Miraphone, and Sterling horns to choose from?

Follow Ups: