Re: playing only in ...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 22, 2003 at 15:31:02:

In Reply to: playing only in ... posted by Kenneth Sloan on March 21, 2003 at 00:37:08:

It occurs to me that perhaps you didn't restrict the responses to paying orchestra gigs. If so:

I've had one steady amateur orchestra gig. I love the music, and that's what got me into my first orchestra gig--through band-playing connections that included a relevant conversation on music with one of the orchestra's founders. It was a small orchestra, and I played string bass parts frequently. That kept it from being too boring, considering we didn't have the horsepower to play the really big works.

I also played alternate in the Mesquite Symphony, filling in for the regular guy when he wasn't available. I never got to play a concert with them, but I played about half the rehearsals working up to the Shosty 5. That was a real highlight for me. Again, the connection came through band (the Town North Concert Band, which had the same conductor).

I'd love to play in an orchestra again, but I have no hope of doing so. Joe's comments in another thread are all too true--amateur orchestra gigs for tuba players are nearly as rare as pro gigs. Many amateur community orchestras hire their brass players, or they are training grounds for grad students and recent graduates who are trying to build resume for a pro gig. I can't possibly compete against them. The local "amateur" orchestra in this area hires pros to fill in most brass parts.

Rick "who thinks an amateur tuba player waiting for exclusively for a real orchestra gig will never get a chance to perform" Denney

Follow Ups: