Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Poor HS Student in need of Euphonium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by more... on March 24, 2003 at 22:18:16:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Poor HS Student in need of Euphonium posted by JoeS on March 24, 2003 at 21:42:57:

A couple of months ago, I picked up a Willson 2900S at an internet auction for $2500.

It had almost all of its silver, only a few very small dents and scratches, and only needed

- a nice mouthpiece (something better than the "stock" Willson mouthpiece)
- a good cleaning
- the valve casing water-sponge assemblies (optional, obviously)
- a decent case (optional, actually. The original would have been quite adequate for my own use.)
- a replacement mouthpipe (dezinctified - ' could have waited awhile on this)

The total cost to me of putting that instrument in 99% new condition (including buying the instrument) was around $3100.

If you can engage in some enterprise earning $60/week, you should have this much money in just over a year. With the money in-hand, you can simply wait for such a similar opportunity (perhaps you prefer some other brand, etc. Most other brands often cost less than Willson "used".) and engage in a shrewd internet auction purchase. To enhance your last-moment internet bidding skills, while you're earning the money you can engage in numerous internet auction "dry runs" until you are skilled at bidding and ready to bid and buy for real.

The $60/week is an amount that would put enough money in your hands within approximately a year. You could earn $60 steadily each week by working at a business for $8/hr. (or less per hour) two or three afternoons (or weekends) each week, or you could do outdoor work (lawn mowing, leaf raking, landscaping, cleaning, etc.) for twice that much per hour during "seasonal" times.

-Joe S.

Follow Ups: