Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Poor HS Student in need of Euphonium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dean on March 25, 2003 at 07:20:37:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Poor HS Student in need of Euphonium posted by js on March 24, 2003 at 23:08:52:

The different DC bands do their auditions differently.

The Army has a tape round first, so only 15 or so are invited to audition.

The Air Force also hs a taped round, I believe, so they have a small audition day as well.

The Marines have an all out audition-fest for whoever shows up. I dunno, maybe 60-80 players?? But, I'd say maybe the same number (15-20), are "qualified" to be there.

Dont know about the DC Navy Band.

If one would decide that they wanted to play in a non-DC band, a "regular" band, I GUARANTEE that person would get a job. Any moderately hard working musician, especially one with a college degree, will find a position somewhere in one of the branches of military service. (all assuming they make standards for military acceptance--medical and all) No need to limit themselves to the DC bands.

And, I wasnt saying the original poster had to be a professional euphoniumist. Maybe he's going to be a public school teacher, maybe a composer, conductor, or get graduate & doctorate degrees and teach at the college level. Maybe he'll be a physicist, I dunno. My only point was, that degree holding professionals generally make a higher income-work ratio than they did while flipping burgers in high school/college. It just makes sense to me to take the loans now, and pay them off later. $4000 is A LOT of money to a high school kid/college undregrad. I mean, like, almost unattainable. I definitely remember those days myself. When they get a "real" job, all it takes is a degree of budgeting and some time, and that $4000 could be paid off with very little pain in a year or two.

Follow Ups: