Re: Re: Re: Distin Instruments

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on March 25, 2003 at 08:08:42:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Distin Instruments posted by js on March 24, 2003 at 22:29:56:

Henry Distin was part of the Distin family quintet that performed throughout Europe in the early to mid 19th century. They originally played keyed bugles, but after meeting with Adolph Sax switched to valved Saxhorns and became the reps for Sax's instruments in England. They apparently had a falling out with Sax and Henry began manufacturing instruments in London. I don't know if the falling out was before or after Distin began manufacturing.

Henry retired and sold his company to Thomas Boosey in the 1850s or 60s (I can't remember exactly, and everything I own is on a moving van), agreeing not to manufacture musical instruments within 100 miles of London. He then moved to New York where he began manufacturing instruments with Frederick Busch. In the 1870s J.W. Pepper asked him to move to Philadelphia and help them start an instrument manufacturing factory. In the 1880s he moved to Williamsport, PA and began manufacturing under his own name again. The Distin company was in business in Williamsport until 1909 when Brua C. Keefer's family bought the rights, I believe on Henry's death (Keefer was the factory foreman before this). Keefer manufactured instruments in this factory until a factory fire in about 1941.

The majority of Distin instruments that one finds in the US today are from the Williamsport factory. They are generally considered his best playing instruments. I have also seen many Philadelphia made instruments, some with the J.W. Pepper name also, and some labeled just Henry Distin. There was also a Philadelphia made "William Henry Distin" Cornet that sold on ebay recently. I believe that William Henry was Henry's son. New York instruments are more rare because Henry wasn't there very long, and are usually labeled Hy Distin or Distin & Busch. London made instruments made while Distin owned the factory are also rare. You will often find instruments labeled Distin & Co. from London, but these were made by Boosey after buying the company. He manufactured using the Distin & Co. name at first, then used Boosey & Co with a Distin Trademark, then changed everything to Boosey.

I have a few instruments that I have offered to Chris, once I get them unpacked.

Follow Ups: