Re: Re: Re: Poor HS Student in need of Euphonium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on March 25, 2003 at 13:07:28:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Poor HS Student in need of Euphonium posted by Mary Ann on March 25, 2003 at 11:19:08:

If it is possible, I would like to agree with both Mary Ann AND Rick. They are certainly not completely opposite in their views. In my opinion, debt need to be used as a tool. It is much more often abused these days. Although I would consider myself to be very "old-fashioned," I have more debt than just my mortage. My debt has been very carefully used, making certain all along the way that I can afford the debt.

In order to make it back to the tuba-related thing, I can now say that I own two tubas plus a baritone horn. They are all completely paid for. I bought my first tuba, new, in 1974(Miraphone 186 CC, w/5 valves). In 2000, I bought a used Eb tuba(Conn Monster, w/3 valves). Then, in 2002, I bought the baritone horn(Olds, w/3 valves). I paid cash for each of them. It might prove interesting to those reading this post that I paid $1,650 for the Miraphone. Doesn't sound like much, does it? At the time, that was a little more than 3 months of my take-home pay. Not having kids at the time made that possible.

Anyway, in short, I don't advocate going totally "old-fashioned," but I do believe there are many old values which we could all benefit from using.

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters

Follow Ups: