Re: Marathana: Prayer for Band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ian Easton on March 26, 2003 at 02:26:27:

In Reply to: Marathana: Prayer for Band posted by Dan C. on March 26, 2003 at 00:18:05:

Maranatha (that's how it's spelled!) is a great piece. I conducted it a few years back (with a scholarship band, ie at a special music school, 12-14 year olds who had been playing for 1 to 3 years with weekly individual instrumental lessons), the kids and audience enjoyed it too. Lots of expression (ended up conducting it without a baton to wring every nuance out of it!). If you have tubular bells, they sound great at the end.

Make sure your players have a good dynamic range, and check the score (from memory, there was a bass clarinet, or was it a bassoon part? near the end that wasn't covered by any other instruments).

A quick search reveals: Southern Music Co: Maranatha - Lee Harbaugh. (TRN) ($50.00) (Grade 2) Maranatha was commissioned by the L.H. Rather Middle School Band in Bonham, Texas. It is in the key of F in 4/4 meter. The trumpet has two short solos. All three clarinet parts must go over the break. The trumpet range is to 4th space E.

I also found the piece available at http://www.trnmusic.com/contest.htm

Other authorities list the piece as being level 1, 2 or 3 (everyone's grading system is different).

I'd strongly recommend the piece, buy it and have fun!

Ian Easton

Follow Ups: