Re: Innovations, Tips, Tricks?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on March 28, 2003 at 13:27:27:

In Reply to: Innovations, Tips, Tricks? posted by Charles D. Ortega on March 28, 2003 at 00:55:18:

Charlie!

The US Army has added a number of words and phrases to American English over the last two centuries. The most common one is "snafu" which is really an acronym: S.N.A.F.U. - Situation Normal: All F***ed Up.

Another one that was common when I served that seems to be gaining in popularity in the civilian world is "CYA", or Cover Your Ass. In my Army Band (many moons ago) we took to each gig a "CYA Bag" that contained music, oils, greases, reeds, mouthpieces, lyres, rank insignea, black socks, black and nude pantyhose, ties, nametags, edge dressing, shoe polish, et cetera. If it was forgotten or broke or blew away we could replace it even if we were on the road.

If you screwed up and needed to use the bag, you were responsible for it from that moment until the next person needed it. It was very big and heavy and you had to lug it around and keep it on your person while at a job site (unless you were at a parade or something like that...).

Since it was the Army, this sort of forgetfulness was not really a problem. So one could get stuck with that darn duffle bag for up to six months of gigging!! If you forgot your tie, you just hoped and prayed that someone else would forget something soon so you could get rid of that stupid bag!

Now to my answer:

I keep in the trunks of both of my cars a kit that contains black and white bow ties, a long tie, black socks, a cummerbund, mouthpieces for each of my horns, oils, greases, corks, felts, springs, a repair kit for both woodwinds and brass, as well as one each of the brass mouthpieces and two extra folding stands. Additionally, I keep folders containing 30 or 40 minutes of Robert King "flexible instrumentation" quartets and trios.

Over the last ten seasons I have had need of this stuff only a few times. But it allowed us fo fulfill contracts during really bad weather or when one of our players was involved in an accident one the way to a wedding. (You can't just call in to one of those and say you're not coming for ANY reason and expect to work ever again...even due to an accident, unfortunately.)

If you gig a lot with folks you don't really know well, or if you contract for gigs, having your own CYA Bag might really save your spam someday. I can't reccomend this highly enough!! Be the hero by being able to save your own heiny or that of a colleague!

Wade

Follow Ups: