Re: Re: In the market for a PT6

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AW on April 01, 2003 at 22:46:57:

In Reply to: Re: In the market for a PT6 posted by Rob on April 01, 2003 at 18:46:09:

I would like to second Rob's comments. I am a very happy owner of a MW32, and find it to be a great compromise. To do better, I would have to have a collection of tubas.

My teacher has a collection, and can pick an instrument for the occasion. However, he can also demonstrate that you don't need a big tuba to get a big sound.

Why not just supplement your fine largish 4/4 CC tuba with a F tuba if you want to do very small ensemble or solo work? [You will, of course have to choose what size F horn to get -- 3/4 through 6/4.] Then, if you still feel the need to have a monster-size horn, get yourself a huge BBb tuba for those relatively rare occasions when you are willing to give up agility and intonation for that fattest of all sounds. Why BBb? It's bigger, cheaper and darker, and doesn't have to be your horn for agility.

And then there's getting a 3/4 CC horn for agility while still having a good low range, and then there's....

My advice for now: Keep it simple. Learn to play the horn you have. When you determine that your fine MW32 is keeping you from doing something or making the sound you want, and your teacher confirms that it's the horn, not you, then you should either replace it or supplement it with something else -- either bigger or smaller, as needed. But, don't just replace this great all around horn with a specialized one.

Best of luck,
Allen Walker

Follow Ups: