Re: Re: Re: Tuning Methodolgy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Heliconer on March 02, 2004 at 11:41:50:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Tuning Methodolgy posted by Tom on March 02, 2004 at 10:52:08:

Pitch is relative to the key you are in. Another determining factor is melody verses harmony. In the Key of bB, D would be slightly lower (just scale) in pitch compared to a D in the key of A Concert. This has to do with the differences in the equal tempered scale, the just scale and the pythagorean. A tuner is based on the equal temperament scale and inherently flawed. I guess my point is; if you are using a tuner you cannot be perfectly in tune. You are using an equal tempered devise. Strings fit more closely to the just scale because of the harmonics produced by a string instrument. That's why we have to adjust to different playing environments; I think this is what Phil is referring to. H. E. Nutt was a master at explaining tuning methodolgy. A tuner is a great starting point for adjusting your instrument but you can expect to move pitch, (depending on the key you are playing in) frequently 1 - 10 cents (sometimes more) in an ensemble.

Follow Ups: