Re: Recommendations for versital Eb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bryan Altherr on March 03, 2004 at 02:26:09:

In Reply to: Recommendations for versital Eb posted by Opinions please on March 02, 2004 at 21:51:44:

I own several tubas, and by far my favorites are my bessons. Both of those are EEb's with the 3+1 compensating valve set-up (one is a 981, the other I do not know the model # but is very similar except it has a 14 3\4" bell and now a custom leadpipe). In addition to very much liking the sound these horns produce, they are just a lot of fun to play. The 3+1 set-up was very easy to get used to (even prefer in lots of instances). My first besson experience was with a 982, and it wasn't a horn I really wanted to own. I tested several horns you mentioned and still would not part with my hard earned money to own one. The 981 is basically a 982 minus the strap hooks and a slightly different leadpipe, that leadpipe making a huge difference in both the feel (the fun part) and the sound (the satisfying part). The only limitations I have found in these horns are due to the player (that would be me) and not the horn.

Follow Ups: