Re: Playing w/ dentures, partials & bridges

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Vernon Elliott on March 03, 2004 at 13:53:02:

In Reply to: Playing w/ dentures, partials & bridges posted by Toothless in Seattle on March 03, 2004 at 12:26:31:

Sir:

I have worn a removable upper bridge since early adulthood. Find a dentist that understands brass playing. I would also suggest use of a metal framework instead of plastic, as the metal is thinner. Clasps help immensely. If you have to use an adhesive, get refitted ASAP.

The device effectively lowers the roof of the mouth. Tone / timbre corrections should be relatively simple by adjusting the oral cavity accordingly (drop jaw, etc.). Extra work is needed to strengthen the corners of your embouchure so excess pressure is not needed.

The tongue has less space to move in as well. Focus on the tip of the tongue and keep good airflow, as CK indicated. Get away from the word "attack" and think "release" instead, using the tongue as a valve instead of a ramrod. Use of a "soft" syllable such as "do" will help.

Find a good teacher to help maintain good playing habits, even if you do have extensive studies and experience in your past.

Many famous ploayers have performed at their peak with dental and / or lip problems and overcome them. One that inspired me was at an Earl Louder clinic years ago. Mr. Louder started to play a Blue Bells of Scotland type piece. It sounded great, but he stopped after a couple minutes, looked at his pianist and said, "These (AT)#*! things still don't feel right!" and took out his dentures and played the rest of the piece flawlessly. Made me figure I just needed to go home and practice:-)

Good luck:

Vernon

Follow Ups: