Re: Re: Re: UNT Euph Studio Article

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike on March 05, 2004 at 10:02:38:

In Reply to: Re: Re: UNT Euph Studio Article posted by Alan Herold on March 04, 2004 at 20:09:55:

Thanks for your response. It was very well though out and I agree with most of it. I respectfully disagree some of your take on athletes. I think that that your views are based on the system as it exists today. If I was developing a degree program for professional sports, it would have a mix of business, physical sciences and coaching/education classes. Much as music performance majors have to take a mix of theory and performance classes. In that way if the athlete cannot get a job playing for money, he/she would only be a few credits away from either an education or a business degree.

Also, I think if you could get a degree in professional sports performance, you wouldn't see as many instances of insulting classes and tests like "Coach" Harrick's. And I put coach in quotations because I feel that what he did was as far away from coaching as you can get.

One more point. When I was in college, I played in the Wind Ensemble and we met at 8:00 a.m. Monday through Thursday. The only criteria the director used for grading was attendence. You could have one unexcused absence per semester with no effect. Every missed rehearsal after that would drop you one letter grade. I feel conflicted on this, because I am so disgusted by what Harrick did, but at least he gave a test. ;-)

Follow Ups: