Re: Re: Re: Re: Physical Fitness for Brass Players

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 12, 2004 at 14:38:08:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Physical Fitness for Brass Players posted by Rob P-M on March 12, 2004 at 11:32:42:

It makes a great deal of sense for tuba players, too. Ms. Butler describes my main weakness as a player clearly enough.

As to fitness, I agree with Sean that being physically fit makes every aspect of life better. Other than that general improvement, however, I don't think it especially helps brass players. In some ways, it can hurt if you don't maintain clear thinking. For example, most fitness activities promote a lot of support in your mid-section, which is tension in the abdominal muscles. That tension is antithetical to the relaxed flow of air needed for brass playing. Brass players who lift weights have learned to hold it together when lifting and letting it relax when playing. It took me a while (as my playing ramped up after a few years of endurance sports) to learn how to relax my abdominals so the air could flow.

Also, the time spend in athletic training is time not spent practicing, so there has to be a balance.

Breathing for endurance activity is different than breathing for brass playing. Endurance athletes use the minimum air to accomplish the activity at hand, and tend to breathe only when needed. Brass players should always work to have a surplus of air, and breathe before breathing is needed. One does not improve the other, though certainly some fitness makes any breathing easier.

Thus, I would advise anyone to exercise for good health, because no matter what you do in life it is easier when you are healthy. But I don't think a marathoner has any special advantage over a fellow who does a good stairmaster workout three times a week or who walks briskly for 45 minutes every day. But the obese and unfit person might have a disadvantage.

Rick "not fit like he was four years ago, but playing much better than four years ago" Denney

Follow Ups: