Re: Holton BAT Response/Intonation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on March 16, 2004 at 20:05:14:

In Reply to: Holton BAT Response/Intonation posted by D.Graves on March 16, 2004 at 16:07:11:

As you probably know, there is a lot of conversation on the Holton 345's in the archives. I can't recall much being said about changing the leadpipes.

But, Alex is right. There were 3 different lead pipes, and there were tremendous variances in the workmanship, assemblage, and even shape of the branches. My Holton is 36" tall. It is one serial number different than the 345 formerly owned by Keating Johnson. That Horn was at least 3" taller. There are so many variables potentially at play in understanding why some 345s play better in tune than others, or have a more forthcoming low register. Keating commented, for example, on how my horn had a smoother scale and did not have some of the problem notes he was accustomed to on his horn. That was before the Oberloh/Anderson valve job, which drastically improved my horn in a number of ways. So, although I own one, I think it would be very dificult to speculate on what might work on your horn.

The low G on my horn jumps out like a bandid. But the 4 valve for F and all combinations involving the 4th valve below that are a bit stuffy in absolute terms. I have a friend who's 1291 BBb is almost effortless by comparrison. But,the 1291, for all it's terrific attributes, does not have the ultimate heft or authority of the 345. When it came time for him to play "THE RIDE", he used my Holton. So, with my horn, while it may not be as forthcoming or easy, once one learns to blow the notes on the horn, the output awesome. Response and transient impact in the extreme low register can also be mastered, as Keating Johnson so ably demonstrated in his performance of the piece for 3 large tubas at the Big Brass Bash a few years ago.

If you feel that nothing is working for you after really working on it, then your best move is to get together with a really good tech. There could be all sorts of hidden isses. Whatever factors are at play are probably going to need to be addressed in the context of your particular 345.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Tony E

Follow Ups: