Re: Re: Holton BAT Response/Intonation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by D.Graves on March 16, 2004 at 22:26:41:

In Reply to: Re: Holton BAT Response/Intonation posted by Alex C on March 16, 2004 at 19:32:08:

The mouthpipe receiver says "345 CC," but I suppose it's stil possible that the horn may have been cut from BBb and a CC receiver (or mouthpipe) added after the fact. The history of the horn is a mystery to me. The seller told me it was a factory CC. In my thinking, it's easier to deduce that the 5th v was just added to the mouthpipe because that's where the technician (and owner at the time) decided it should go. The technician was Bob Rusk. Subsequently, the 5th v comes straight out of the mouthpipe, just like on the Getzen G-50 tubas. Re the mouthpipe, my guess is that I've got the second one (great sound, good response w/all but low G downward, and pretty funky intonation), but without another horn to compare, I'm not sure. When I'm in shape, the low register comes out fine, but I can't get the volume and punch on the low E's as I'd like for tunes such as Ride, Fountains, etc. I've tried backing off, doing a gazillion flow exercises, standing on my head while simultaneously clapping and reciting my favorite Ogden Nash limmericks, etc. I really don't think it's a practice issue, at least not this time. Would there be an unobtrusive way to measure your mouthpipe, just to see if mine matches? That would also give me a better point of reference, in case I have a replacement mouthpipe fabricated. I'd be more than glad to make the drive up to Dallas. I'm going to bring the horn up anyway and have Dennis Houghton check it for leaks. Thanks for your input.

DG

Follow Ups: