Re: Holton BAT Response/Intonation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 17, 2004 at 00:08:27:

In Reply to: Holton BAT Response/Intonation posted by D.Graves on March 16, 2004 at 16:07:11:

Every Holton owner I've ever known, from top pros down to me, has mentioned that the fourth valve low range requires some finesse.

Remember that the fourth valve is a larger bore than the other three--.810" or thereabouts. It's a big pipe to blow. The top pro in question said that he'd sleeved the fourth-valve tubing on a Holton he'd owned to give it a bit more resistance. That actually makes it speak better, supposedly. I'm considering the old 20J trick of putting a matchstick in the end of a tuning slide to add a touch of resistance in that branch. If I do it and it works, I'll post it.

As with Alex, when I approach the fourth valve correctly, it works fine. That happens more rarely for me than for Alex, I'm sure.

The fourth valve on my smaller York Master is magic--the notes jump out of it. But it does not have the amazing sound or the response of the Holton.

I've played several Holtons, most of which were cut from BBb into CC. None of them had the response of my BBb. Mine also has excellent intonation, with no slide manipulation required or weird alternate fingerings to match pitch with my section mate (who plays a new King much better than I could), and the classic big Holton sound. So, my Holton must have dents in the right places to get the best of everything (except good looks). The flat third partial seems to be common, but mine is right on the dot. My 8th partial is, if anything, a hair sharp. The only partial that requires a little management (besides the expected fifth) is the fourth, which is a hair flat. I play with the third and fourth slides pulled a good ways, but the first and second pretty much all the way in.

In summary, I think the problem with the fourth valve is not that it needs to be opened up, but that it is too open. A little extra restriction might be a good thing.

I've been using a PT-48 with wonderful results on the Holton. It provides a complex, colorful sound with a little zip. A Laskey 30H has been suggested to me as being one of the ultimate big-tuba mouthpieces, and I may give it a try someday.

Rick "who has to think about that low F" Denney

Follow Ups: