Re: Re: Re: Re: Jazz Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on March 17, 2004 at 02:40:31:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Jazz Tuba posted by Biggs on March 16, 2004 at 21:11:32:

In reading below, I was considering the distinction between "jazz tubist" and tubist who can play jazz well. Meaning...when is one considered a "jazzer" and by whom?

I have heard Sam play live many times and he is great at every style I have heard him play including jazz. But I don't think of him as a "jazzer" because my thoughts of him began with Empire and then moved to solo stuff. Even through the "Traveling Light" tour, I always thought of him as just a great musician....not a performer of just one medium.

Having said this, I wonder if jazz greats would consider him a peer in their medium. Or even the local pros in town. Did he dive into it for long enough...deep enough? There is no doubt in my mind that he would be "great" at anything he did completely dedicate himself to. But there are very few players who are considered "great" players in both the classical and jazz worlds by the "great" players in both mediums. However, there are a few more players that are considered very good at playing in the style of both.

I think I would consider Sam to be a top of the line classical player who plays jazz and jazz-like music very well. A jazzer? No, not in my mind, but a damn good musician who plays every style on a professional level.

Just my $.02

Mark

Follow Ups: