Re: Program Advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by rufus mustafa on March 17, 2004 at 17:20:24:

In Reply to: Program Advice posted by Dale Shelf on March 17, 2004 at 02:26:39:

I'd do 2 euph and 2 tuba pieces, 3 on one of them at most. I wouldn't conduct a piece on my recital unless it was something I'd written or arranged- very pretentious, imo. Instead of the conducting piece, some sort of ensemble encore would be a nice way to end the recital. So, my example program:

Part I:
simple euph piece to prime the audience.
multi movement euph piece to display your abilities on euph.

[short intermission]

Part II:
Flashy tuba piece(Czardas is GREAT to open the 2nd half of a recital)
something simpler, but musical(a la "Introduction and Dance")
multi movement serious tuba piece(concerto, serious sonata, etc)

[short informal break while other musicians come on stage... be friendly, make a joke or two, THANK THE AUDIENCE], don't just stand there awkwardly.

Finale:
just one piece, especially if you're conducting. Again, unless you're conducting something you wrote, I recommend you perform something here. Something light hearted like a jazz combo standard, a tongue-in-cheek quintet piece, etc... not anything like the Ewald or Arnold Quintets.

THANK THE AUDIENCE again, and put in a plug for your next performance(next gig your finale ensemble is doing, for example.

that's just my advice. I'd definitely keep it under 50 minutes, with the break. My last recital was 42 minutes with the break, and was very well received. I wouldn't want to sit through much more than 40 minutes of a collegiate accordian recital, don't expect others to want to sit through much more than a half hour of tuba. Make every minute of it GOOD, don't let your audience get bored. Mostly though, just have fun. good luck!

Follow Ups: