Re: Re: school tubas: top-action vs front-action

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by YBB-104 on March 19, 2004 at 14:13:53:

In Reply to: Re: school tubas: top-action vs front-action posted by Agreement on March 19, 2004 at 11:55:41:

Is one of the worst for the money, in my opinion.

It's "Achilles Heels" are:

#2 slide: One side is attached to the #1 slide and the other side is attached to the #3 slide. Thus, as soon as the instrument falls over (first day it is at the school, etc.) the two sides of the #2 slide get pushed in towards each other - rendering the #2 slide badly jammed. Sometimes, as a result of this common mishap, the #2 piston hangs from these stresses as well.

valve casing design: Just like many slot-guide Yamaha instruments, the valve casings are precision fitted to the pistons all the way to the very top and bottom - including the threaded areas (valve cap areas) on the ends. Any time slightly excessive force is exerted on stuck caps by not-so-well-informed folks, the casings may be effected...quite often causing the effected casings to "cone in" - rendering the pistons still operable but no longer removable.

concert mouthpipe: Far too long, far too flimsy, and far too lightly braced, in my opinion. This $162 (suggested retail) replacement part is (in my view) designed as if it were "disposable".
On the other hand, the folks at Yamaha are very classy folks. Not only will they continue to trade with me if they happen to read this, but I'm also quite certain that they will refrain from threatening legal action against me for expressing these opinions. This restraint and willingness to accept criticism separates the classy and highly successful importers/manufacturers from others.

Follow Ups: