Re: inhaling through the nose

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on May 04, 1999 at 23:13:06:

In Reply to: inhaling through the nose posted by ken k on May 04, 1999 at 07:46:00:

Sure, it's an orifice, why not use it?

You won't get the same amount of air as through the mouth -- two small holes are more restrictive than one big one. But, in some situations, it's perfectly reasonable to take in small chunks of air more often through the nose. It's not my idea -- I'll credit William Winkle for showing me the right way to do it.

For a specific example, when we were playing "In The Spring At The Time When Kings Go Off To War" (obnoxious title to type!), us two tubists in the wind ensemble played the split-octave ostinato sections at the required volume without dropping a single note for a breath, and we "sniff breathed" to do it. Same thing with some other pieces we've had, plus some of the solos I've got.

The drawbacks obviously involve less efficient airflow and the need to keep from getting a runny nose. The advantages are a more secure embouchure (it doesn't leave the mouthpiece), better pulse control, and fewer (if any) dropped notes due to one-on-a-part playing (Canadian Brass workshop noted).

Whenever possible, definitely breathe through the mouth, as always. But there are times when it's much more reliable to take small breaths through the nose.

Seeya,
Leland

Follow Ups: