Re: From BBb tuba to F tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on May 05, 1999 at 21:54:41:

In Reply to: From BBb tuba to F tuba posted by Jay Boyd on May 05, 1999 at 14:32:39:

No advice here except to start blowin' and mashin' buttons :) I CAN possibly offer some good fingerings from two ledger lines low C (4th valve) down:

B - 6 4 Bb - 5 4 A - 5 6 4 (or) 2 3 4 Ab - 6 2 3 4 G - 6 5 3 4 Gb - 5 1 2 3 4 (or) 5 6 1 3 4 "pedal"F - "open" etc. (repeat fingerings for octave above)

This is based on numbering the rotors, top to bottom, 561234, and an adjusted WHOLE step 5th valve, and an adjusted HALF step sixth valve. no tuba in my lap, right now, so be careful about trusting this. You will find that there are a lot of "cute" trill fingerings available, and a lot of alternate fingerings...for example, several ways to play low C, other than just 4th valve, etc.

Suggestions for the F tuba: Don't fall into that "same mouthpiece" or even necessarily "same rim" neurosis. I suggest a shallow or medium shallow cup mouthpiece with a medium or large throat. An off-the shelf version is the Rose Solo (if you are a rounded-rim mouthpiece player). An economy one (and flat rimmed) is a Bach 25 or copy (not my favorite). The absolute largest one that I would consider (large isn't necessarily helpful, here) is a Bach 18 or equivalent. Don't expect notes that are the same pitches as your BBb to feel, sound, or respond the same. This instrument is totally different from a BBb. It is roughly the equivalent adjustment as going from a large-bore euphonium to an altohorn (and you wouldn't stick a Schilke 51D euphonium mouthpiece on an Eb altohorn, would you?). Have fun, and play beautiful, lyrical solos.

Follow Ups: