Re: Euphonium Advice?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by guy-that-buys-LOTSA-horns on May 15, 1999 at 15:57:17:

In Reply to: Euphonium Advice? posted by Steve on May 15, 1999 at 13:40:47:

I never base the value of a used instrument on its age. (They don't really work like automobiles in this way, unless changes to models were made.) I base it on condition, desirability, and availability. I suggest that you locate the lowest NEW (or current "comparable" new) price available, determine desirability (since YOU are the consumer, dictate desirability YOURSELF by playing it and reading posts from euph players), and enter the negotiation with this knowledge. Often (since many people tend to be outwardly tentative), if the buyer insists that the SELLER determines the price, the price that the seller states is less than the buyer is willing to pay.(!)

I know that I did not answer your question specifically, but as someone who has purchased thousands of band instruments, if you use these principles/ideas, I think that you will come out OK in your negotiation. Good luck to you on the "quoted" sellers price!

Wait to read euphonium player's posts about their opinions of the suitability of this model, too.

Good luck! :-)

Follow Ups: