Re: an open letter to the tuba exchange

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Ferries on May 16, 1999 at 12:12:27:

In Reply to: an open letter to the tuba exchange posted by tuba player and collector on May 16, 1999 at 09:15:45:

Dear List contacted
While the tone of the first letter may have been a bit harsh, I must weigh in agreeing with the gentleman. I too contacted the owner about his magnificent horn, but I was reluctant to bid $4900 without playing or at least learning about the instrument. As somemone who wanted to actually play the Heinnl (Mr. Simonetti will probably put it into his collection) I had to deal with old clocksprings and a possible out-of-standard pitch horn. The seller apparently was told he could get an unrealistic amount of money for it on ebay. I consulted with an East Coast collector of excellent reputation, and he had seen the instrument on ebay as well, and he thought $3000 was a reasonable value.
Anyone who wants to buy the horn now will pay through the nose. But, in his defense, Mr.Simonetti is not in business to lose money. The seller was not forced to deal with him; he could have contacted Steve Dillon, Dave Fedderly, etc. Mr. Simonetti definitely did get the better deal. Business is business, unfortunately.

Follow Ups: