Re: Re: Re: Re: an open letter to the tuba exchange

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on May 19, 1999 at 22:24:39:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: an open letter to the tuba exchange posted by George.Blahun. on May 19, 1999 at 19:36:15:

Great story! I wish I had started playing tuba soon enough to meet Bill Bell myself. Anyhow, being a professional player and tuba enthusiast myself, I will offer my opinion on your current dilemma.

You would be much better served to get cash from Vince Simonetti than a St. Petersburg tuba. You're Heinel tuba is worth $5000.00 at least while the St. Pete sells new at around half that. You will hear all different opinions about the relative quality of the St. Pete tuba but the bottom line is that there are other choices out there for the same money that many players feel are better playing tubas with, more importantly, better construction quality. What you need to decide is how much you still play and what kind of quality you're willing to accept in your tuba. In any event, your tuba sold at the appropriate price would net you enough money to purchase a new St. Pete. or any other similar new tuba and still have $2500.00+ left over. You could do even better in the used tuba market.

Don't be discouraged by the fact that your tuba didn't sell on eBay. Many higher priced items don't sell right away there, especially if your feedback rating is low. I would put an ad in the T.U.B.A. Journal before doing anything else and see if that doesn't generate more of a response.

My only regret is that I don't have the cash right now to buy it from you myself. But you should rest assured that the tuba is valuable, you just need to put it in front of the right person to see that. I think you can see from the BBS responses that it is pretty much unanimous that the deal Vince is offering you if pretty beneficial to him. I believe you can definitely do better! Good luck!

Follow Ups: