Re: Bill Bell Scale Routine

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on May 20, 1999 at 23:38:29:

In Reply to: Bill Bell Scale Routine posted by Aaron on May 20, 1999 at 21:24:24:

Abe Torchinsky turned me on to the Bill Bell Daily Routine, or Bell Scales, when I was a freshman in college. 21 years later I'm still doing them daily. This routine is the most efficient and comprehensive practice method I've ever seen. It covers nearly all facets of playing and builds endurance as well as teaching consistent embouchure position. You say that you are doing a variant of the original Bell Scales. My impression of them is that, to get the fullest benefit from them, you have to practice them in a VERY specific manner. My suggestion to you would be to get the actual Bell Scales and then get a lesson with someone who was taught them by Bill Bell directly. There are many little techniques you're supposed to use that are not notated in the music but Bell taught these things himself to his students. These extras make the difference between just another routine and the rigorous workout that is the Bell Scales. Done correctly, I believe the Bell Scales will enhance your playing in ways you might not think possible. Needless to say, I swear by them! If I were you, I would try to do a routine as close to the original as possible for a while and see what it does for you. Good luck!

Follow Ups: