Re: Valve Action

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on May 24, 1999 at 23:49:45:

In Reply to: Valve Action posted by John Szkutko on May 24, 1999 at 22:58:02:

Any general beliefs regarding front-action pistons wearing out faster than top-action ones are humbug. I find your band director's beliefs about "more friction" to be puzzling. Further, front-action orientation is often easier to service and repair. The only real problem with front-action set-ups, for some people, seems to be the high costs of the instruments that they tend to be hooked to.

Frankly, I see more damage to valve casings on TOP action designs, due to the way that the slide tubing can get squished into the casings in accidents. Also, the fact that the bell often presents an obstacle to straight-thru access to top action piston casings presents more repair problems.

For all practical purposes, neither upright nor front-action piston assembies (when treated properly), "wear" (as far as one person's lifetime of playing is concerned). The three main factors that shorten the lives of both types are #1/ damage #2/ incompetently done repairs and #3/ failure to oil them over a long period of time.

I'm glad that you are enjoying your B&H Eb!

Follow Ups: