Re: Top action horns

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kevin Miller on May 29, 1999 at 20:06:10:

In Reply to: Top action horns posted by Jon on May 24, 1999 at 20:09:47:

Tulsa Band had recently acquired a rather old Yamaha 321. The horn had sat in the corner of someone's garage for nearly ten years. It was beat up pretty bad and the finish was in horrible shape. Our brass technician John Duda took the thing apart, took out the major dents, and patched a few holes here and there. All the tubes were round again and everything was in perfect working order. The first tuba I ever played on was one of the 321s. As bad as this horn looked, even after extensive work, it played extremely well. The older Yamahas, in my humble opinion, were made with much more attention to putting out a quality product,rather than putting out a product quickly. I must say I was pleasantly surprised by how well it played. It had a great broad tone with good focus and a great feel. We sold it for $1,000 to someone who was very happy to have a good playng horn without regard to how shiny it was. It would be impossible to predict a horn's openess or stuffiness just by which direction the valves point.

Follow Ups: