Re: Re: Re: Re: Conn's 14K and 20K: Why so great??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob Perelli-Minetti on May 31, 2000 at 08:01:19:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Conn's 14K and 20K: Why so great?? posted by Steve Marcus on May 31, 2000 at 00:51:37:

Steve:

My knowledge of Bueschers is limited, as I have seen few and played less. As I understand it, at least since the '50s, perhaps since WWII, Buescher was a lower quality line, but before WWII they made high quality instruments. I have a professional sax player friend (plays with the Goldman Band) who owns several Bueschers, from bass sax through soprano, and likes them very much.

As you know, a 31" bell on a sousaphone would be quite rare. If the Buescher is a 30's or older instrument, it could be very good.

If someone put a gun to my head and asked me to rank American brass sousaphone brands , I would do it something like this:

1.Conn; 2. King, 3. Holton (but some people like them better than Kings and Conns), 4. York (but their Ebs are often better than anything), 5. old Bueschers & Keefers, 6. Olds,7. Reynolds. The would come some of the 2nd lines horns like Pan American (Conn), Cleveland (King), American Standard (King), Grand Rapids (York?), Holton Collegiate. After that all of the stencil brands.

Follow Ups: