Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Willson 3050 vs. B&S PT6

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 06, 2000 at 11:16:25:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Willson 3050 vs. B&S PT6 posted by Jay Bertolet on June 05, 2000 at 22:38:11:

Well, I knew I was messing up, heh, heh.

I, too, have a small F and a smaller F. And I have to confess that I have the hots for (of all things) a King 2341 to counter the completely different sound of my Miraphone, even though neither one of them is all that big.

I was surprised when the player I mentioned sold his Alex 5/4 horn. He described that horn as being so flexible that it could do anything, as long as you knew how to steer it. He felt at the time that Yorkbrunner was not as versatile, even though he made it so of necessity. This is consistent with Jay's comments.

But there's another reality, too. I'm an engineer, and pursue tuba playing (and collecting) as a hobby. I don't have to justify my purchases (but I'm also not in the market for a Nirschl or a Yorkbrunner!). If I was a pro, I would approach it the same way I approach buying engineering materials--as a business decision. Each item of capital equipment has to pull its weight. In that determination, even a pro might have to give up some flexibility to make sure the bills are being paid.

Rick "Reality bites" Denney

Follow Ups: