Re: Help with decision please

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark McMahon on May 04, 2001 at 09:40:27:

In Reply to: Help with decision please posted by RD on May 04, 2001 at 09:04:11:

RD-

I have a Meinl Weston 2145 with the big valve section like you are discussing, and I use it in all of those types of gigs (light orchestra, chamber, and solo). I think that the 2145 is a great instrument. In fact, I picked it over two 4/4 Hirsbrunners when I got it from the Baltimore Brass Co. I only have two minor complaints regarding my 2145:

1. I haven't yet found a real good combination to play the A at the top of the bass clef staff. It is a bit too sharp with the 1,2 combination and a little too flat when played 3rd valve only. I'll figure this one out in time.

2. I had to remove the thumb ring. Sam Pilafian helped design this horn, and he must have HUGE hands! The factory setting of the thumb ring is at a real funky angle. However, this is very easy to fix. About three dollars and a good ol' fashioned blow torch, and your local repair man can take care of it.

It should be said, however, that the 2145 is not a "big blow" tuba. Whenever I have to play big literature with my orchestra, I bring my 6/4 Nirschl, Floyd-o-phone. But the new 2145 is an otherwise superior all-around axe.

Regarding the older 2155, I would be very cautious before I invested my money. It has been my experience that the older Meinl Westons have serious intonation quirks that the newer horns don't have. ESPECIALLY the 2155! But if it doesn't have those intonation problems, it will give you a bit more girth than the 2145.

My opinion...FWIW.

I would strongly recommend that you contact Dave Fedderly at the Baltimore Brass Co. (if you haven't already) before you make your decision. He is an expert on Meinl Westons old and new, and he is always happy to answer any questions that we, the uninformed, incur.

Follow Ups: